Tuesday 21 November 2006

The past from above

Wow. That sounds philosophical, doesn't it? It's not though - it's the name of an exhibition I went to see today at the British Museum with my dad. I recommend it. If you were studying geography or ancient history, this would be just the thing to give you an appetite for those subjects. Extraordinary and beautiful aerial shots of remnants of civilisations from the first century AD onwards. Pictures of beautiful Iraqi settlements and ancient towers - something we don't think about in the midst of a war and yet it was so powerful - home of Babylon - once the biggest city in the world. The picture to the left is the Minaret of the Great Mosque at Samarra, Iraq. It was built soon after AD847. These pictures show us how civilisations come and go, destroying each other and making way for new powers, who in turn get destroyed by others.

Have we not advanced since then?



2 comments:

Phoenix said...

Sounds good!

But it's got me thinking about a description of time which I read somewhere, where the past was described as a shimmering pool of layers which we could look down through. And I have no idea where I read it but it's going to annoy me until I find out. Or until someone posts the answer here.

Phoenix said...

Duh me, it was Proust

 
Who links to me?