Wednesday 22 November 2006

Living history

Sent an academic colleague out to one of the UK’s top schools last week to do a subject talk about computer science. He reported back to me the astonishing view of the teacher that his pupils worry that our university has “the Jack the Ripper factor, this being what the area is most famous for”. As someone with a Master’s in the History of London, I personally am thrilled that we are working in the midst of one of the seminal periods of Victorian London. I’ve always wanted to go back in time, but now it seems I don’t have to.

Better not tell them about the more contemporary issues – poverty, social deprivation, drug dealing and disease ....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was one of the weirder reasons I want to go to Barts and The London, we did about Jack the Ripper at GCSE history and went on a tour around the Whitechapel sites too... fascinating (if not a little creepy!)

 
Who links to me?