Monday 11 December 2006

Patsy and the Plague

The Orwellian nightmare of Hewitt’s NHS continues*. Around the country, 29 hospitals are to close but in case you were under any illusions (ie. that this might have adverse effects on the health service) it’s actually going to “improve patient care”. This year the NHS is to make a surplus – yes, a surplus – of £250 million. Meanwhile we’ll spend £20 billion on the Trident replacement.

I’m no economist - I don’t even really know how many millions make a billion (isn’t it different depending on where you come from anyway?) but it doesn’t sound like a good sense to me.
* Interesting description on Google: "George Orwell's 1949 novel decries a totalitarian government bent on total manipulation".

On a smaller scale, I’ve just spent £8.50 buying a record that I appear on (with my dad). You won’t ever want to hear it; it’s called Plague Songs. It really is what it says on the tin.

9 comments:

j said...

Aha! That answers a question that I've long wondered about but never thought to actually vocalise!

The surplus thing makes me laugh - in a hysterical, may be kind of slightly mental and manic way! Nice to know I'm training for a dead end job (again!)...

Petri Fish said...

What was the question?

j said...

The whole Eno thing!

How cool though, being credited on an album!

Are you in Mile End tomorrow?

Petri Fish said...

Oh THAT! I didn't think it could be about Patsy :)

I'm in ME tomorrow yah - meetings at 10, 2 and 3 for about an hour each, but that's all. Would be great to see you (have just figured out who you are now - durh).

j said...

Sorry - must be the whole shock tactic of using the old real name!!!

I'm up at ME for PBL facilitator training from 2-5pm - coffee? :)

Petri Fish said...

Definitely. I'll PM you my work extension / room on the admissions forum.

Phoenix said...

Brian Eno is your Dad? Wow! I have 'Music for films' in my CD pile on my desk. I'm all starstruck now!

Unknown said...

1984 was written in 1946, not 1949. The title is meant to be a simple manipulation of the year of release (1948). Pedantry over...

Petri Fish said...

Blame Google :)

 
Who links to me?